Smiling, PostgreSQL-using conference goers
Anyone who went will likely tell you how much they enjoyed PGDay EU 2008. My biggest regret this year is that I was unable to attend.
Magnus Hagander’s Planet blog is still missing, so I’m blogging the link to his fabulous photos for him. If you see any pictures with missing names or labels, please let him know at magnus -at- hagander (dot) net.
This conference was once again led by Gabriele Bartolini, and a large supporting team – including the other board members of PgEU – Magnus Hagander, Jean-Paul Argudo and Andreas Scherbaum. PgEU (for those that don’t know) is a non-profit dedicated to promoting PostgreSQL in European nations. Next year, this conference will be held somewhere in France! Stay tuned to planet.postgresql.org for details!
I was so busy I didn’t have much time to blog about the PostgreSQL Conference West. It was great to see everyone, and I came away more sure than ever that PostgreSQL has the best developer and user community. We had so much fun, and I really enjoyed seeing the creative ways people are using PostgreSQL – for business (Proprietary to PostgreSQL), education (Visual Planner) and as a hobby (PL/LOLCODE).
WhereCampPDX was amazing! I had a couple fantastic conversations with Webb Sprague, a regular PostGIS presenter for PDXPUG and Portland PostgreSQL conferences. He’s interested in getting people together to talk about anthropology and tech, and how to better meet the needs of the people who will actually end up using disaster management software in a crisis. Look for a fabulous event from him this spring!
As far as GSOC, I’m hoping to take a lead role in this next year with Josh Berkus‘ help. He’s managed Summer of Code for at least two years, and has worked hard to match mentors and students, and we’ve ended up with several excellent contributions.
My plan for PostgreSQL is to start early on recruitment and project proposals, so that we have an excellent turnout next year. So, if you know of a project you want worked on, or know of students who would be good candidates – let’s get in touch now and start recruiting!
- #wherecamppdx ROX! http://drop.io/wherecamppdx #
- shoes + ruby = awesome (via @reidab): http://skitch.com/selena/3b9d/picture-13 #
- Night before #wherecamppdx http://flickr.com/photos/selenamarie/2953020809 #
- @magnushagander you should follow @turnstep 🙂 #
- @brampitoyo is bringin’ it with the pacman theme song #wherecamppdx #
- @gorthx put down the feed reader! #
- ok, gonna crash. need to get on bike and go home. see you tomorrow, campers! #
- having fun with pics at #wherecamppdx: http://www.flickr.com/photos/selenamarie/sets/72157608157010828/ #
- @thirdworld want to send you an email, can you contact me with your address? 🙂 #
- @turoczy happy birthday 🙂 #
- #WhereCampPDX affirms my faith in humanity – so much interest in solving the problems around disaster response by helping people connect now #
- @thesethings and a great morning workout! 🙂 #
- WhereCampPDX. Starts. Tonight! Check out all the awesome stuff planned, and join us at the Olympic Mills building tonight! http://www.w … #
- @missburrows don’t know. i just remember going up hill for a LONG TIME. and being very happy to get a chocolate turkey when it was over! #
- @eggyknap made it to the front page of http://lolcode.com/news – bookmark it. srsly. #
- at wherecamppdx planning #
- everything’s coming together for wherecamp. need to head home and work on slides… #
- @linuxaid congrats!!! #
- did I mention that PDXPUG was going to be especially awesome tomorrow night? #
- whoa. how did it get to be so late? #
- calculating. #
- @jessejajit move! 😀 #
- @sumwan awesome! should be fun tonight. #
- @sumwan yup! #
- @davidfetter JEALOUS! #
- @missburrows i’ve done the turkey trot! fantastic run. lemme know if you’re gonna do it. #
- Probably universal. 5039436152 #
- sleepy. headed to bed. #
- have a great conference, all you postgres people headed to Prato, Italy! I’m totally jealous 🙂 #
- thanks so much to Tri-met, Mozilla and Microsoft for sponsoring WhereCampPDX! #
- have a friend that needs some help offloading html/CSS work – tight deadline; anyone game? DM me 🙂 #