Here was my wish list from before:
- Camera working: Done! The trick was ‘
uvcvideo‘, which I eventually built as a kernel module.
- A Skitch replacement: Mostly done. I was given Shutter Project as a recommendation. I haven’t had a look at it yet.
PrtScactually takes pics of my visible desktop and I added a Firefox Addon called “Awesome Screenshot”. That solves my problems for now.
- Vidyo working: Not working. I can now get video, and audio OUT, but I can’t hear other people. I need to dig into and troubleshoot this more. Skype, however, does work well. It does tend to flake out (slow video, loss of audio) far more on the Lenovo than on the Mac.
- A package for my .bash_profile, .ssh and .gpg directories that I can install in any new system: Not done.
- A better driver for the touchpad that doesn’t let my mouse jump around while I’m typing: Not done.
- Change configuration to have the mouse behave like the latest OS X (reverse scrolling): Not done.
Overall, I feel much more comfortable on my Linux laptop now than my Mac. The mousing in particular is frustrating without buttons on the Mac.
I still switch back and forth because of Vidyo. I’m hoping in the next week or so to figure out what’s wrong with my audio and get it solved for good.
The nicest productivity improvements have been around test servers like HBase and Thrift, and being able to recompile my kernel at a moment’s notice for new features.